Hope & Spark

Hope & Spark
Hope lies here.....

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Youth Is Directionless But Not Irresponsible.

Usually I don't write down personal incidents on my blog but series of confrontations with a few questioning minds made me to express my views through an incident that happened with me two days back. On friday morning, me and my classmates were eagerly waiting for our advertising class which is taken by a very experienced and charismatic person. For his introduction, I would just like to mention that he headed Public Relation Society of India (Delhi Chapter) and this is just a feather in his cap.

He started off the class with enormous energy as he usually does discussing the 'publics in public relation'.While explaining further he cited the example of 'Anna Hazare Movement' and his first statement was-"This movement is going to die off, nothing will happen." One or two of my friends, (who volunteered  with me at Jantar Mantar while Anna was on fast) tried to convince him that revolution starts from somewhere but their mincing words failed to do so. He put his point more strongly by making one of the volunteers to stand and asked, "What have you done for the movement since you have come back from Jantar Mantar? Did you write a single letter to editor or even a blogpost? " The expected answer came from the boy-No! 

The sir went on- "You people just create euphoria, if you want to do something start from your own home.It was just a 5 days fest and now everything is gone." I was listening to all this and ultimately can not resist myself from raising my hand while saying, "sir, I want to say something." He allowed me to speak and I started, " Sir, I am connected to this movement from past six months when it started in November last year. Since then, I have written ten letters to editor those have been published in Hindustan Times. I have made the people aware of 'JanLokpal Bill' through a special facebook account and Google buzz.I attended the India Against Corruption rally on 30th of January at Ram Lila Maidan.I have been writing blogposts twice a month adressing such issues and I don't think I have done anything special because I am not the only one. " Suddenly, he stopped me and smilingly uttered, "In the language of advertising, your product has been sold. Lady you will not let this movement die and I am complimenting you." Normally, he never gets convinced so early still I preferred to halt myself.

After few minutes, again he touched the wrong strings. " A simple bill can not curb corruption.Nothing will happen because corruption is so deeply rooted in this country. One or two people can't bring the change".You can call it my stubbornness, but I raised my hand again. This time he said, "lady you can put your point but I won't say a word." Still I asked him, "Will you agree sir, inspiration can be positive or negative?, He moved his head in affirmation and I continued, "When last time I went for IAC, only one person followed me, but this time at Jantar Mantar, four of my classmates came along with me.Something positive inspired me to volunteer there on my birthday rather than partying with friends. But the way you are treating this issue, next time I won't find a single person from this class to accompany me because of negative insipration. My only question is why to be so cynical?". He didn't say much but just smiled and said, "I am not spreading negativity, I am just motivating you people."

Though I expressed my viewpoint but frankly speaking, I was a bit scared because I knew that my teacher is going to complain about me to my Director and I will face a tough time.In that 3 hour class, we get a break of 10 mins after one and half hour is over.In the break, he called me up and asked my name.He also asked me about my career plans and gave me some nice suggestions regarding the same.He offered me his help in case I need it in future. If I am not wrong, he was convinced!

The only point to explain the whole incident is to make the people realize that Youth can be directionless,lacks inspiration, contentious and sometimes rude but is not irresponsible. Once it gets a direction, a goal, a particular way, youth is the best asset any country can have to curb any social menace. So, please don't distrust them rather than provide them a direction, a platform where they can voice their aspirations. I know a 18year old, modern young boy teaching small kids at a village on his birthday and filing more than 120 RTI petitions. I have seen a 19year old actively working with a NGO for the betterment of environment.And this list is endless. How can I be cynical? Let us fail, let us struggle.Even if we return with nothing we have the courage to start again. Remember, with experience you never start with '0', you always start with '1'.If you can't do anything for us, atleast don't be cynical. As I always say, If you can't talk positive, atleast be neutral rather than spreading negativity. You never know, who gets inspired from you.


-Penned by
Anubha Shukla.

11 comments:

  1. Dear Anubha,

    Great post. Admire your spirit. Look at your professor differently, maybe he was trying to provoke the class into thinking deeper & to come up with positive thoughts & action plan.

    Sometime we do have to employ reverse psychology to get a child to do what we want done. It is possible that is what was being done.

    Please stay positive, acquire the ability of independent objective thinking, where you question the information and assess it against facts available to/with you.

    Carry on Young lady. Great work being done by you & your generation. Dont let anyone divert your attention from your selected goal.

    Sincerely
    Anil Kohli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot sir..thanks for ur nice words...and I completely agree with you, even I realized later that my sir's intention was to motivate us...But I had to speak aloud just to convince a few of my classmates who did nothing for the cause but were laughing at us(people who atleast tried to take the first step).

    ReplyDelete
  3. anu ji ...I read the whole thing... there is too much negativity among the youth and who is to blame, the present situation and the nothing coming out of any thing...but once we see the positive outcome of even one incidence then sure people will turn around..its the anger among the youth...need patience and lot of courage to come out of it...
    great job....meenu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am proud of u,mr.india,and every1 who's ready joining the hands to clear the mess...

    cynics be damned...but we can't get away from the fact that laughing community plays role of majority in today's youth...they believe in doing nothing but blaming anything...

    but anyways i agree cynicism is not an answer to these 'swelled up matures'...when three fingers will take initiative for the change,I am sure other two will be morally forced to be part of the fist...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful.. not just this incidence but your participation in the movement on & off field is motivating. Keep doing the gr8 work, future belongs to Youth like You :)
    - Priyank Bhaiya..

    ReplyDelete
  6. @PST: Thank u Priyank bhaiya :D

    @Rohan:Thanks beta for ur nice words....As Priyank bhaiya said, future belongs to u too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. experienced a new dimension of ANUBHA. really great. you create a bunch of hopes. keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Piece !!

    Totally agree with the view that the youth have grown. I have seen Guys quitting jobs in Google and opening up NGO. I have seen guys who are contributing a portion of their salary and paying 5 teachers to teach students in their village. I have seen guys who booze whole night watching "Sheila Ki Jawaani" teaching the other day to poor children free of cost under CSR.

    However, Your professor was not wrong at all. Reasons:

    1. They could have amended existing laws and made CBI, CVC an autonomous body.Had they had a rational approach, the country would not have to spend 500 Millions on making another Machinary with similar portfolio like the existing ones. It is like if you see a crime happening in front of you, call 101. If 101 doesn't work call 102. If 102 doesn't work, call 103. Phew! Make the existing institutions worth and empower them. Do changes which can give transparency in the process.

    2. Unless you have transparency, you can never ensure justice. When i say transparency, i mean something like "Quarterly Revenue Update" that Companies do. Why can't they come with something constructive like a Quarterly Magazine by the State/Central Govt with list of all the Projects, Funds and their status. Let something like this be there and it should be considered Bible for Politicians. If an MLA says, 10Cr is allocated to him for building a dam, let him give break of all expenses publicly and also status of Projects. I am sure, this doesn't need a big institution. Low cost but a permanent solution.

    Full regards to Anna. But then,time shall better say how effective this Bill will be in Handling corruption.

    In an economy like India you do need youth mobilization. This movement mobilized.That was a blessing in disguise. However, goal of this movement could have been more constructive and more focussed on reforms than the agenda of putting a parallel govt in place.

    Remember, lokpal won't educate you. Nor shall it give morsels to those fasting since millions of years. Inspite of such mass mobilization, there shan't be any impact on this Guy who serves me food and doesn't know how to save my mobile number. Come elections, you give them 5-Kg of Rice and they shall vote you.

    Message is : No need to waste energy in making a carbon copy of an existing text-book if you can edit it and republish.

    Keep writing. Let's hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anubha Shukla

    You are very lucky to get a great guide like him. A great personal sharing.It can inspire many of young guns of INDIA.

    Now talking about youth whatever you have stated above its 100%true. In this democratic country every one shouts for the correct things but very few act or even take a small step towards it.I have seen many young quitting jobs or the social works what they were doing at their-level due to Corruption. According to me it cannot be erased by any bill. For it you need support of each and every citizen to raise hands against it.Even if a single hand drops it will cause at least a 100 more to drop and list will go on then.You can sense at least ANNA has awaken many individuals who were sleeping and didn't cared about any political happening in our country.I think all this CORRUPTION has happened due to the generation above us.If they would have at least been 10% against it the scenario would have been different.There is a much much much more tougher task ahead of us for at least a decade than passing a bill.

    ALL THE BEST for people like us who not only dream but act too in making changes in the corrosive system of our motherland.

    JAI HIND!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for Bengali late. but its a lovely post

    ReplyDelete